Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Made The Switch From Windows To Mac


A change that I did not expect.

As hard as it is for me to accept this, but I need to let go of my acer aspire 4750G. The reason being is that everything started crashing, I couldn't play games on it anymore, the keyboard stopped working and some usb ports are damaged. Basically, I couldn't get any work done on it anymore. This laptop has been with me through thick and thin for 5 years with all of my social media creations, photo and video editing, the start of my blogging and gaming (Hi to all my dragon nest, pso2, domo and bns friends!). Now, with this being broken, I decided to get a new PC because I need it for my studies too. If you guys have been following me on Twitter (Joycentricity) and on Snapchat (blissyjojo), you would know that I recently got a 21.5 inch iMac a few days ago. 

I am not exactly new to apple products since I'm already using an iPad 2 and an iPhone SE so I guess making my personal computer an apple or a mac was a reasonable choice because then, all of my files could all sync together from one device to another with the use of Apple's iCloud. What kind of excited me the most about is the notes app. I use notes all the time on whatever device I'm on. So, having to create one note on one device and having it synced to all of my other devices is pretty convenient. 




Adjusting

Not gonna lie, having to use windows for all of my life, throwing me into a mac pc felt a little bit intimidating. I spent most of my time opening and closing each application and pressing most of the keys on my keyboard to know which ones are for what. The application that I played around with the most is the system preferences and testing out the things that I can change or do with it. Didn't really take me long to finally get the hang of it. 

I think what surprised me the most about actually using and owning a mac pc is that it's pretty flexible and not as limited as I thought it would be for applications that I would like to use. While I do understand that Macs aren't really built for gaming, I decided to give that up for now because I do need this more for my studies and the career that I plan on having. Other than that, there are a whole lot of things that I loved about this PC like..


  • Spotlight Search (Command + Space bar)  
Literally a life saver when I need a quick search of some files that I need but don't know where to locate them. Pretty handy for a Mac beginner.
  • Siri
Siri has become my favorite thing to use on my phone and I'm glad that I could use it on my PC because I could easily command Siri to do something for me or again, do a quick search.
  • Final cut pro
I was always pretty envious of those mac owners who get to edit their videos on final cut pro because it just always ends up looking so cool and professional that I always wanted to try it myself. This software is exclusive to mac only so I'm happy I get to test it now. 
  • Screenshot (command + shift + 4)
I don't know about you but it annoys the heck out of me that everytime I need to screenshot something on a windows, I would have to open either paint or photoshop to have it pasted and then saved. Plus, I couldn't take it simultaneously because everytime you print screen something, it would overwrite the previous one. On mac however, it will automatically save it for you and that just saves a whole lot of time and effort.
  • Having the option to reopen windows when logging back in / rebooting your pc)
Another time saving feature wherein if you decided to shut down your computer but would like to be back from where you left off when you turned the pc off, there would be no hassle of opening and finding everything that you need when you turn it back on again.
  • The appearance
I know, I'm such a shallow person (lol), but you can't deny that Apple products are definitely one of the prettiest devices out there. They give out this impression of being professional with it's sleek design and I am all for something pretty. 
  • Saves up space
I actually thought of just getting a gaming pc before I finally decided on an iMac. Though one factor that I had to consider was that "where the hell do I put everything?" My desk space / work space was very limited so having the iMac have everything that I need inside of the monitor and having a small keyboard and mouse, it was just perfect to place it on my desk.







But why did I get a desktop rather than a laptop?

I know most people or bloggers my age would prefer a laptop like the macbook air or macbook pro and such due to it being a little more portable for traveling or a better choice for university students. Well, the reason for me choosing the iMac rather than the laptops is because I do most of my work at home, I don't really travel often these days and I do online university. If I ever need to work on something outside of home, I do have my iPad 2 with me which has the things that I need so its all good. I also wanted something that can deal with heavy duty work especially when I'm gonna be spending most of my time on it editing photos, videos, just really taking my time on learning new things. Lastly, the screen is so huge! I love that everything is kind of magnified for me since I'm used to working on my iPad 2 and a 14 inch laptop so editing on this PC is an amazing experience because of that. 

I do realize that some people may not agree with my choice because iMacs or Apple products in general are definitely costly and there are options on building a PC with the same or less the amount of money used for a mac. So, if you're on the hunt for a new pc, or just trying to decide if you'd like to be a mac owner, just consider all of the pros and cons, what you'll need them for and just also research. 

For now, I am happy with my choice and after I got this iMac, I was just so inspired to work and study more so, expect to read more from me soon!


Until the next post,




Disclosure: I am in no way sponsored by any of the brands / companies mentioned in this post. Everything you see here is bought from my own money and statements / opinions made are based off on my own experience

21 comments:

  1. Choosing a desktop over a laptop makes perfect sense as you're working from home most of the time - and I've no doubt it'll be a great help to your newfound inspiration for working/studying more! :)

    aglassofice.com
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very useful!
    Very nice post, clear and detailed!Thanx for share! :)
    xxx
    S
    http://s-fashion-avenue.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, you're so brave- but I love your setup and sounds like you're digging the switch! :)

    -Ashley
    Le Stylo Rouge

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really happy that you are pleased with your new computer - personally I have laptop, but I totally understand your reasons why you decided to buy desktop - the screen is so huge, so it's perfect to work at home :)

    http://crafty-zone.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it was a great idea to get a desktop, I was thinking about getting one as well.

    Florals&Smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! I love it so much and get a lot of work done :)

      Delete
  6. I recently got an iMac too and LOVE it! I've always been an Apple person but prior to this mostly worked on my MacBook Pro. It's so nice to have a bigger screen when I'm working at home and only using the laptop when I'm traveling! :) Congrats on your new computer! xo, sharon

    http://www.stylelullaby.com/lifestyle/what-to-pack-weekend-road-trip/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yea the bigger screen definitely contributes to all of the work I'm doing and I'm just glad I got this iMac. Congrats on your new computer too! :D

      Delete
  7. Heheh your new Mac desktop looks amazing (: I always wanted one and I totally get your frustration about your laptop keeps on crashing and stuff especially during gaming it can be such a bother. x

    http://birdiethgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yea it drives me insane having to deal with that most of the time. xD

      Delete
  8. Oh I love this post!! your Mac is cool!
    xx
    Mónica Sors
    MES VOYAGES À PARIS
    NEW POST: ATUMN RULES: MAXI SCARF
    DON'T MISS: CALIFORNIA TRAVEL DIARY, LAST OUTFITS

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your new desktop is amazing. I made the switch to Mac laptops 6 years ago and won't go back to PC.

    xo
    www.carinavardie.com

    ReplyDelete

< > Home
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Joycentricity © , All Rights Reserved. BLOG DESIGN BY Sadaf F K.