Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Awkward Conversations To Expect During Christmas Family Reunions || Blogmas # 14



It's almost Christmas and what's also coming? Family reunions. And I don't know about you but seeing relatives once a year is awkward by itself then comes the awkward questions they ask you. So, how do you survive it? Well, let's see if we can do it together shall we?

  • "Have you graduated yet?"
This is kind of a pressure to say "yes" even when you're not, especially when you wish you really graduated. The best thing to say here is probably "soon". Or for some people, they stopped studying and became an undergraduate which is fine with them but having to explain that to people is pretty awkward especially when they don't get your reasons. 
  • "When are you gonna get a job?"
This is probably even funnier when you already consider something else as your job (eg. blogger, youtuber ) and then when you tell them that "this is what I do", they go ahead and say "no,no, are you gonna do this for the rest of your life? How about becoming successful". But I guess the best thing to say here is to explain why you like the thing that you're doing now and that for now, you would like to continue this and figure out what you're gonna do when the time comes". 
  • "Do you have a girlfriend / boyfriend?"
It sometimes depends on who's asking. It also depends if you wanna tell them or not. Not gonna lie but having no boyfriend and saying no was alot easier than having to say who is your boyfriend, how did you meet and all that stuff to family members who think you're too young or too old for this. 
  • "Did you gain some weight?"
I'm not sure how common this is for everybody but in the Philippines, for some reason, commenting on the weight of a person is an icebreaker here and it wasn't really meant to offend anybody, we just do it. I'm honestly still not used to it though and get pretty self conscious when I meet people who I know would most likely comment like that especially now when I did gain some weight, I just say "yea, food has been so great in my table this year" or "yea, I learned how to cook better this year so I've been eating a lot of it".
  • "When's the wedding?"
This happens when you just brought your lady or man for the holidays. You two may not have discussed about marriage yet and that's fine since you could say just that or "Not that soon but I'll make sure to send your invitation" and then move on to the next topic.
  • "When are you two gonna have kids?"
You either just got married, don't want to have kids or just waiting or saving up before you do. A pretty sensitive topic to some but the best way to go if you don't want to go in to detail about it is that you're either saving up or you're not sure yet. 

Well no matter what awkward conversation comes up, just remember that they're pretty much just an icebreaker because maybe you really just meet once a year or maybe every other year so most people won't even know how to start. Try to answer or just smile and change the topic is probably the best thing to do because having a good meal with everyone and having them tell stories if you don't have any is really a good way to spend the holidays. These questions would pass so don't fret! Have a Merry Christmas!





2 comments:

  1. Everytime we have a family reunion, hubby and I were always ask about when we will have another baby. Our baby is still 10 months old, hello?!! :)

    Would you like to follow each other? Let me know.
    Mommy Rockin' In Style

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "did you gain some weight?" is so common in Thailand too. Interestingly, I never hear that in UK. It really bothers me that whenever I go to family gatherings, the first thing that my aunts/uncles greet me is with that question. I already feel horrible for gaining weight, no need to point it out, ya feel?

    I guess it's because Asians are much more obsessed with looks than in the Western culture, which sucks for us haha..

    ♥ Nana's Notebook

    ReplyDelete

< > Home
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Joycentricity © , All Rights Reserved. BLOG DESIGN BY Sadaf F K.