Sunday, October 18, 2015

7 Reasons On Why You Should Keep A Journal





I've been writing on journals more than half of my life. Sad to say that moving around houses wasn't much of a help in keeping sentimental things so I lost alot of what I was suppose to now have that I'm still trying to move on from. Some of my friends ask me, why do I have a journal? What do I write in it? How do you write in it? Is it like having a conversation with someone or just a list of what you did or wanted today? Well all I could say is, here are the reasons I keep a journal and why you should start one too..



  • Writing about how you feel that day.
You may have achieved something or witnessed something that is just so wonderful that you would not want to forget. Write it all down for a chance of reliving that moment when you feel the need of a reassurance that you are doing alright or at least, something right. 
  • A secret way to remember things
I admit that having a journal may have helped me more times than I could count. There will just be moments a year later that I wanna remember or I need to remember but I just couldn't so I search or read through my old journals based on which day I would've written about that experience and get a chance to find things that are helpful on my current situation.
  • It is a way to feed your creativity
My English teacher back in high school once told me that I speak and write English nicely, but if I want to be better then I should practice by continuing to write. And she was right! Looking at or reading my old journals, I was pretty basic at it that I wonder how on earth did I manage to get better. I'm not saying that my English is perfect at the moment, but there is just a huge difference.
  • Helps a person think things through
You know how sometimes, to get a sense of who is wrong or who is right in a situation, you must look at both sides? Well, writing down a situation and its occurrence is a way to slowly write down your personal thoughts and then reading it back to see if it made sense. It won't seem one sided because you then thought of why you felt this or that or what made you do this or that and the situation based on a 2nd or 3rd person's opinion. Therefore analyzing it if you made a mistake or made sense.
  • You could vent or say anything you want without having to deal with the consequences or embarrassment for future times.
I vented alot on my journal than I ever did in real life. It is a way for me to release some stress that is building up within me. With this, it avoided arguments or misunderstandings. A little time off doesn't hurt anyone, but having something to go to when it just doesn't seem right is a better option than keeping it all inside. 
  • A place where you are free to think only about yourself.
You won't sound selfish or self-centered at all since you hold the pen and you can write everything about you and how you think of yourself. No one is there to be annoyed and it lets you focus just on yourself for a few minutes of "me time".
  • Track your own progress
Through the years, you would slowly see the transition and the moments where you succeeded and failed. You have a way to know where did things go wrong or where it all started. Something you'd wanna go back to and is the most essential part of having a personal journal is to know how you've grown. 

I also remember watching Ellen one day when Emma Watson was a guest and she talked about how someone in her family made her write in a journal about her whole experience on Harry Potter right from the beginning. And I thought that it was a brilliant thing to have because achievements as big as those don't come by everyday and having something like that to relive by is wondrous. Do take precautions in keeping a journal. Like what they say, do not write down what you don't want others reading. Your journal may be personal to you but that doesn't mean that there aren't any nosey people out there. Other than that, there are no rules in writing, do as you wish. So just write down the important moments or what you think you would want to read in the future. You'd never know when it will become a source of a fascinating story or of help of something that you need to remember.





4 comments:

  1. Great reasons to maintain a journal Joyce, thank you for sharing :)

    http://www.the10worldoffakes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. "You could vent or say anything you want without having to deal with the consequences or embarrassment for future times." Except when my sister breaks in, enters my room and reads my journal >_< hahaha that was really embarrassing! I always find it difficult to read my past entries though.
    Jessica | http://ladyarizel.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha in the end I said Do take precautions in keeping a journal. Like what they say, do not write down what you don't want others reading. Your journal may be personal to you but that doesn't mean that there aren't any nosey people out there since I too have experienced some friends grabbing and reading my journal xD

      Delete

< > Home
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Joycentricity © , All Rights Reserved. BLOG DESIGN BY Sadaf F K.